Monday, December 8, 2008

The Monday Night Powerplay III

The pressure is on. I am getting outside sources ensuring that the Monday Night Powerplay is good this week. Why go you ask? Maybe because unlike politicians, I work for the little guy (insert studio audience saying "Awww"). Let's get started

1. BCS = Big Crazy Sh*t! So apparently the Liberal party have found a way to screw up American College football. Well, not really. Everyone is blaming them for everything so I thought I would jump on board. The BCS came out with their yearly list of schools who can pay the most money... I mean... top schools for college Bowl games.

For those who are not familiar, let me set the scene: Imagine your parents sit around the kitchen table each year and decide which ten of your friends you are going to hang out with. These ten friends are the richest, the sexiest (which isn't a problem, really), and the most irritating, self-serving people you have ever met. Now imagine that you have to sit their and watch them perform all of their wonderous talents while listen to cliches about how this guy is going far someday. You have just experienced Bowl Season for college football fans.

How the hell is Ohio State there? Last time I checked, they had about as much chance of being successful as O.J. Teams like Boise State, Georgia, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Oregon State should be showcasing their national talents. Who wants to watch Cincinnati get their shit pushed in? I know I don't! Give me Boise State and Texas Tech in a game that breaks the scoreboard (and some white football athlete meter).

2. Oh yeah, that thing - What is hairy, smelly, incompetent, and completely broke? The Republican Party. And right now, they are the only thing less popular than Stephane Dion. He has screwed the Liberal party harder than a two cent whor....... I think you get my drift.

Word has come out over the past couple of days that Dion will step down this Wednesday and that Michael Ignatieff will take over as party leader. Yay! We go from the incompetent to the ignorant! Actually, I shouldn't be that hard on Iggy. I mean look, the Iraq war would have been better if Canada were there right? Right?!?

The Liberal Party are in a massive hole. The only thing that is uniting the country is the continued dislike of Stephen Harper. If Harper were to resign and a semi-popular, slightly creepy Leader were to take over, the Liberals would be screwed. If someone like Jean Charest were to take over, the Liberals might not win an election for another decade.
3. My beef with the news - I can't do it anymore. I can't watch the news without seeing the political biases showing through. Damn you St. Thomas University! Damn you Political Science degree! Damn you independent thought! I went to school not to think but to be thought for. Give me my money back; give me my restitution! ...if you can't pick up on the sarcasm, I nominate you to replace the next corps on either CBC's At Issue panel or on CTV's Question Period.

I watch the news expecting to be challenged on my beliefs, to hear over biases, here them compared with one another, and select which most applies or doesn't apply to my society. I like discussion, debate, and freedom of though. The past two weeks have seen the "news" commentators agree more often than Donnie and Marie! The worst part, it is being presented in a way that is factual when the ideas being spoken are actually commentary. Andrew Coyne is so far up the asses of Federalists, he thinks he's Trudeau some days! I'm sorry but people either debate or report. Don't report your debate when no one can argue back!

4. The worst jerseys ever made - For those who read this blog on any type of regular basis, you know my love of hockey (Go Leafs). One of my other interests is jerseys. Ever since I was a kid I have adored seeing the different styles and variations on culture put into these sweaters. If you share this obsession, check this site out. I might love ugly jerseys, of all sports, even more! My favorite jersey of all time might just be the Nolan Ryan Houston Astros jersey!

As I already know my preferences on ugly jerseys, please give me some ideas. I need good suggestions for a poll of the Ugliest Jersey Ever! Here are the Criteria:
  • Must be from a Professional Association (No college)
  • Must have been worn more than one time
  • Must make you wish for the days of disco pants as a better party accessory
Otherwise, go nuts and send me suggestions!

5. Me in 20 years - I am more convinced than ever that I will end up like this guy in a couple of decades!

And with that, the puck is short of the net and off a little to the right (that's what she said) but the powerplay is still over.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The old L.A. Kings jerseys from the 70s. Actually, the whole uniform period, including the white skates.

Garn said...

Learn how to spell favourite.

bennymac_23 said...

Garn, Obama won. It's ok to spell a word the American way now.

Garn said...

No, it is not, it is people like you that contribute to the dumbing down of Canadian Culture. Next you are going to be writing in this blog about how the Prime Minister is elected and a coalition is anti-democratic.